Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Why to Tell Yourself to Shut-up

When I refer to my "self", I am describing that part of me that fights against the other part of me. I don't know what to call that other part.
For instance, I want to run a marathon and run a 5 minute mile. My "self" doesn't. When I set my alarm for 5:15, he wants to sleep.
I want to eat the right portions of healthy food. My "self" likes junk food. When chocolate cake is in front of me, he wants to eat all of it.

I would like to read a book a week. I think it'd be good for me. It would improve my vocabulary and all. My "self" wants to watch an episode of Pawn Stars I have already seen twice before. It's a great show.

I would like to pray an hour a day. Prayer works, and I would like to see my friends and family's lives changed. My "self" likes to look at random people's Facebook pages. My "self" can be a creeper.

My "self" is a jerk. He lies and pretends he's on my side. My "self" is greedy. He always takes more than a few minutes. A few minutes turn into an hour, and that makes him even more convincing in the morning when he points out the snooze button.

My "self" sucks at time management, and he is a terrible steward of resources. My "self" has actually eaten 2 whole cans of Vienna sausages and a sleeve of Oreos right before bed. That's like a million and a half calories.

So, what's the answer? It's a dirty word. The answer is discipline.
Paul says in 1 Cor 9:27
But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

Discipline is not easy. Taking control of your "self" has to be a God thing. We can't control "self". We have to recognize when "self" is up to no good, and tell your "self" to shut up. Then, we have to give ourselves to Him. 

When He has us, discipline is possible. He can turn us into something great. Try it. It works.


1 comment:

  1. VERY TRUE WE ALL HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE TWO PERSONS
    EMBROILED WITHIN US.THANK GOD FOR PAUL.IF IT GETS TO BAD THEY HAVE A NAME FOR IT SCHIZOPHRENIA.
    DAD

    ReplyDelete